Here comes the sun!
Is your wardrobe ready for Summer? A mini heatwave is about to hit the UK so suddenly jeans and structured clothing are just going to be too hot and sweaty – it’s time to go loose and relaxed! Lucky for me because relaxed and natural is my preferred state when it comes to clothing.
BUT whilst I always want to feel comfortable in what I wear, I also want to look glam and pulled together without much fuss. Too much to ask? Not if you have the right pieces in your wardrobe it isn’t!
Here is my edit of the ten summer essentials for your wardrobe that will give you a good mix of day-to-day outfits…
- Topshop Unique ‘Aster’ dress. Love the skirt shape on this dress and it’s got sleeves which is always useful if you are a person who doesn’t like getting your arms out. Good option for day with converse or evening with heels.
2. Whistles Bardot knit in ‘easy-to-match’ navy. Great with the Whistles patterned trousers below and ‘on-trend’ if you are that way inclined. Also worth mentioning the arm thing again here – if you don’t like the tops of your arms, this style is very good at covering that part up and is really flattering.
3. Loose and easy draped gathered trouser to wear with above and with the espadrilles below
4. Metallic espadrilles are a wardrobe summer essential! I could not live without trainers and espadrilles during the Summer months.
5. Natural fabric basics – another wardrobe must-have. Everyone needs a few of these to wear with patterned trousers or skirts. Far better to spend a bit more and get good quality tee shirts and vest tops in natural fabrics like linen or 100% cotton that will last in the wash and make you look smarter as well as feel fresher. These are from Jigsaw. This is turning into an ‘arm special’ but another tip is if you are a bigger/normal person or busty and not a skinny mini, don’t choose a vest top with spaghetti straps or it will make your arms look like a Russian shot putter – instead go for wide straps, looks a lot better.
6. Next hot weather essential is a midi skirt. Less material than a maxi skirt so therefore less fussy! Great for covering up white legs and for floating around the City in. This one from Jigsaw has an exclusive print designed by their in-house artist – wear with high top converse and a vest top or tee shirt with the sparkly statement earrings below for a great daytime outfit. Or keep the sparkly earrings on and team with heels to hit the pub in the evening.
7. Sparkly or statement earrings from Stella & Dot. A MUST HAVE item for everyone (a bold claim). I love sparkly earrings because without much fuss at all, you stick these on with the plainest and most practical of outfits (jeans and a tee, a plain dress, denim shorts) and voila – instant glamour!!!
8. Hush, loose boyfriend denim shorts. Love the relaxed look of these and the light distressed denim. Would go well with the espadrilles, a simple tee shirt and a pair of statement earrings. There is a waiting list for these at the moment, contact me if you want other options.
9. Maxi Dress – one with sleeves, one without. Perfect for hot summer days, especially when you haven’t got time to shave your legs or do St Tropez fake tan. Easy, practical yet glamorous item.
This Fabienne Chapot maxi dress from Anthology boutique is available to pre-order now and will be arriving in the boutique in June.
10. Jumpsuit. No longer a trend piece, the jumpsuit is a wardrobe essential these days and there is VAST choice in the shops. I really love this Whistles denim one for day-to-day and the silk citrus floral number for summer parties and festivals.
Ten pieces to have in your wardrobe to help it flow for lots of occasions this Summer. Enjoy the sunshine!
If you would like some help editing your wardrobe and shopping for this season get in touch today.
Lisa Gillbe is a personal stylist and images consultant based in London.